Thursday, August 22, 2013

Here Comes the Razors Edge.

Note at the end of each review, Ill post the list of music I used for the title. 



I have been really lucky of late with some excellent buys. Considering my condition, I have little to do, and like today feel so horrible, from the need of the transplant, it’s been a welcome task to get to examine a few things and try to say “are theses good enough for them to literally being the last pair I will ever own.
I consider myself an amateur or hobbyist level when it comes to cooking, so this will all be stand use stuff.
For our firs posting let’s talk about the Ergo chef  knife collection. I recently got 3 of the Knuckle sandwich collection from Guy Fieri , and today ordered the last two big one’s I did not have already from Woot.com (should just give you a hint there. I have the paring knife, the 5.5 and 8.5 chef knifes. Presentation in the box was colorful, perfect for someone who cared about how the knives themselves were going to look. And the black and red design on the knives themselves was also top notch, again for folks concerned with looks over function.
I however am not one of those people. I work in my spare time or worked anyway at a custom sword store, called Angel Sword. Without a doubt I my mind they produce the best looking blades in the world, cooking or otherwise. They also run upwards of 5000 in some cases, versus the 10-15$ a piece I paid for the Ergo chef pieces. I will point out here that they are artistic one of a kind pieces, so are not in the same category, and I got the ergo chef knives for rough 80% off, waiting for sales. So me not being impressed with a very nice looking set of knives when I am used to handling exotic hardwoods rather than well enameled metal, I can forgive Ergo chef that detail.
So back to the knife itself. It’s a perfectly stunning cooking knife. It molded to my hand and for the size weighted just what I needed it to for speed chopping it was as far as I can (layman about a lot of stuff, and cooking hobbyist is me remember?) balanced just as I needed to for fine chopping and heavy enough for the regular one to break bone without me damaging the edge. (incidentally one of the two more I just ordereded was a cleaver itself)
My wife also loved the feel of the blades, and even my Uncle R_ made positive comments about them (that is not something he Does)

They cut fine and constant, able the get thicknesses that I am unable to do myself with and of the other knife I have had out of the box.

And they were 70-80% off of normal cost (lord bless WWW.Woot.Com)
While there is a crusher built into the end of the handle its mostly useless being to small on all three of the blades to matter.

So they do about everything I can reasonable expect from a kitchen knife, and each perform their function properly. Thanks to careful shopping They are WAY less on the cost level than you would normally see and for a chefs knife that costs less than what I would get at Wal-Mart, they are fantastic. I liked them enough to order a meat cleaver and a GP multifunction knife as well.

But the big question is are they the last set of knives I could ever want.


No. I don’t get steak knives with them, to get a prepackaged full set it too expensive, plainer knives would work about as well, and in a bad paraphrase of mega man I think, “Ze Stars! The stars, Zehy do nutting!!!” the added colorful effect designed to appeal to the hip crowd do nothing to improve the quality, or function

Realistically these may be the last set of cooking knives I own anyway but, I know there is a better balanced set if we are talking normal prices. At Woot’s prices however, forget it, they are the best thing since being able to slice bread.




No comments:

Post a Comment